In recent years I have spent a lot of hours volunteering at a local youth corrections center.  In spending time with the kids at the facility I was able to see them as more than criminals.  They were just like everyone else, good people who were going through a rough time.  I've never known why any of them were locked up but I'd assumed that most of them were their for petty theft or vandelism... the shenanigans that a lot of kids get into.  It hadn't really occured to me that some of them could be doing time for things as severe and violent as rape or murder.

Everything changed earlier this year when a young relative of mine was arrested and charged with the murder of his parents, who are of course, also my family.  He had always seemed like a good kid.  He was pretty obedient to his parents, other than the usual back talk and testing of limits that is to be expected of an adolescent.  He was very involved in his local church, he loved volunteering for things whether it was extra chores around the house to help his parents or at his church and in his community to help out his neighbors.  He had never shown signs of violence or aggresion.  The crime he's been accused of doesn't fit with the character or personality that he's shown throughout his life.

Now I am left with a lot of questions without any answers.  How do I show love to someone who took away my own family members?  But then again, how do I stop loving a family member who I at one time felt very close too.  Will I be able to visit him, to come face to face with a killer and if I do what am I supposed to say to him?  Was the kind, gentle, loving person I thought I knew all an act or did something happen recently that caused him to somehow snap?

Jesus calls us to love our enemies and I know God still loves him regardless of the heinous act he commited.  As an abstract concept I fully agree that everyone deserves to feel loved and we should do our best to treat everyone with love and respect.  This, however, is not an abstract concept.  It has become very personal and I'm very torn between love and hate and I know it is going to take me a long time to sort through my feelings and I will probably have to work at it for the rest of my life.  I want my young relative to be treated well and I want someone to show him the love of Christ, I'm sure at some point I'll be a part of the group of people to love and support him but I really don't know how or when.

0 comments:

Post a Comment