This week we are beginning the Lent season. Many people use Lent as a season to give something up for God. I support this tradition but I sometimes find it a little lacking in meaning. I should start by informing everyone I am not Catholic therefore my understanding could be a little bit lacking. If any Catholic friends are reading this please feel free to weigh in and clarify any points I may be getting wrong.

I know a lot of people who seem to give something up just for the sake of giving something up. It seems to be a way of proving God is the most important because they can live without some other favorite thing for forty days. While I do think its great to actively pursue God and to do so (sometimes) to the extend of sacrifice in other areas I also think there has to be more to it than this. If we spend our lives putting something else ahead of God it is not enough to give it up for forty days just to return to our old ways after Easter.

God already knows our hearts so He doesn't really need us to prove anything to Him. I believe His desire for our lives is to be living for Him always. If we are giving something up for Lent because this thing has taken the place of God in our lives we probably need to be giving it up a lot longer than forty days.

Anything we do for Lent, in my opinion, should be a way for us to kick start a more just and faithful lifestyle. I believe forty days to be an excellent trial run. Forty days is more than enough time to develop a new habit. Forty days is also enough time to do something "in the extreme" while thinking/praying about realistic goals for the remainder of ones life.

I believe I'm going to use this Lent season to focus on the best eating/sleep/exercise routine to keep me healthy. As someone living with bipolar disorder I am constantly aware I could slip into another mood swing. A physically healthy lifestyle is one way to help (not a replacement for medication or therapy) keep myself mentally healthy. My health is too important to ignore and the forty days of Lent is a perfect time to put a concentrated effort into focusing on how to keep myself healthy.

What are you going to do for Lent this year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment